Monday 27 June 2011

Is it cheating?


Detail: When Maybugs Fly by Pam Carter: Quilted by Tracey Pereira

You may have noticed that I haven't blogged in quite some while. Well I've not been idle .. in fact I have been busy ... very busy.  This weekend was my first weekend off in around 12 weeks  and even then that wasn't strictly true because I ended up packing some orders and getting them into the post office before midday.

I love being busy but I really enjoyed not having a schedule to work to this weekend. It was on my terms .. if you know what I mean.  So on Saturday afternoon I took myself off to a local quilt show ... as a visitor!

 Aldwick Quilters over in West Sussex is a very talented group and their show was just wonderful. Of course I forgot my camera so I can't show you any photos but trust me when I say the exhibition was worth visiting.  Whilst I was there though I overheard one of the ladies talking about longarm quilting

... "it's cheating really though isn't it? "  she said to her friend.

 I didn't get involved in the conversation ... as much as anything because I had quilted the raffle quilt, but it did get me thinking about a couple of other comments I have heard recently.

 A couple of my newbie patchwork students visited a show a couple of weeks back and told me about a local Hampshire quilt shop owner who questioned "why would you not finish your own quilts?"  when they mentioned longarm quilting to her,  and another lady at the Friday afternoon group I go to who told me her applique doll quilt wasn't suitable for longarm quilting.

 Uhm ... am I wrong or do we need to start educating the UK quilters about the benefits of longarm quilting again?

4 comments:

  1. I think you're sooo right, UK quilters have this "thing" about LA quilting. They can't/won't see the skills that are involved. Maybe it's cos hand quilting is "how it's always been done" or maybe it's cos there are relatively few LA quilters here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's about time LA'ers started singing from the rooftops loud and strong, a whole new set of skills required. Love your quilting, would love to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was greatly interested with what you have shared and posted with us. Makes me think a small significantly more about what I enjoyed and learned about the post! Amazing tips and hints, thanks!
    search engine marketing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well maybe we could work together on some posts informing people about longarm quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each and every one of them.