Wednesday 19 October 2011

The world in your pocket!






At the beginning of October I quoted for a job to make a Map Quilt for a marketing agency.
 I won the job and got some very late nights in return as
 I made a 1m x 1.5m map of 6 of the 7 continents. 

The quilt is scheduled for use in around 20 exhibition venues starting in Glasgow this weekend.  I've no idea where it goes after that but I hope it get well used and 
enjoyed by many visitors.







Each of the continents has a concealed pocket in it for visitors to place notes and messages. This was quite a challenge for the smaller continents but I think they have worked out ok. 




All of the continents were machine buttonhole appliqued to a single background fabric and then lightly quilted around each shape with a simple medium sized  background meander. The concealed pockets were made using a concealed zipper pocket technique ..minus zipper of course before I layered up and quilted.   




To hang the quilt I added a sleeve and ties to give more than one method of fixing 
depending on the venue. 





All in all I really enjoyed making this quilt and asides from the practical challenge
 of making it I learnt a few things about our world too.  


So do you know what the continents are and which is which?  



I was quite surprised looking at the relative size of them. 
I knew Asia was big but it's vast by comparison to Europe and Australia. 
And I didn't know North America had quite so many islands ( and no I didn't include them all, although I did try to include as many of the larger land masses as I could.)   



The buttonhole applique took ages and gave me 'googly' eyes from concentrating so much but I did have a  laugh with my husband who phoned regularly to ask which country I was now in and recommended I give up for the day when I had a thread break in the Urals !


Here are some pics of the quilt in progress


















9 comments:

  1. I love it, the pockets are such a clever idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really stunning! What a brilliant idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hope that all your readers know where the continents are!! Having said that, it varies from country to country. In the UK, we say there are 5 continents - America, Europe, Asia, Australasia and Africa - we don't count Antartica or South America as a separate continent and having discussed this before, it does vary from country to country whether there are 5, 6 or 7 continents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing!! I can't believe you've done all this in October. I hope it gets put to some good use when they've finished with it.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing quilt! Congratulations on winning the commission and on the fantastic job you did!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilt...I love the colours you've used and how you've photographed it. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what an amazing quilt! It's fabulous! The pockets are awesome. So glad you shared it today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this project, it is so interesting.

    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracey, your quilt is phenomenal!
    (Found it through Pinterest)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each and every one of them.