Friday 13 August 2010

Barefoot Bricks : Inspired by Kaffe


If you have never been to the  Victoria and Albert Museum in London  you should really should consider adding it to your 'bucket list' (.. thats the list of  things you are going to do before you kick the bucket!)

Its an amazing building that you can just get lost in for hours days! The exterior architecture is worth 6 visits alone but step inside and its a truly mind blowing experience. 

I have been several times to the V & A  and each and every time I find something new and inspiring. On my latest visit to see the Quilt 1700-2010 exhibition I found this great book by Kaffe Fasset in the museum shop. 


Kaffe Fassett's V&A Quilts: 

23 Beautiful Patchworks Inspired by the Victoria and Albert Museum 


Now I have to say I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Mr Fassett ... sometimes I looove his stuff and other times not. 

This book I love! 

Its beautifully presented with heaps of inspiring photographs set in the V&A building. Buy it as as coffee table book and you wont be disappointed. Buy it as a project book and you'll be amazed! Its packed with LOADS of contemporary quilt projects inspired by some of the V&A collection of magnificant old masters - 23 projects to be exact. But even better than this - they are not onerous projects either which is probably the reason why I was actually inspired to make this quilt top this week! 

       


Inspired by the Brick Cot Quilt,  my rendition uses a collection of 10 Pink and Blue FQ's from the Tanya Whelans Barefoot Roses range of fabrics. 

        





The textiles collection at the V&A is vast but only a very small portion of them ever make it to front of house, which is a great great shame. Hopefully the success of the Quilts 1700-2010 exhibition will encourage them to more on display.


2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! But, then it's always the simplest bocks that look the best (imho) I have the same love hate thing about Kaffe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a great fan of Kaffe but I tend to say it quietly else I get strange looks. I like that Brick pattern though. I have a Jelly Roll that I'm not sure what to do with and I think it might be justthe quilt.

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each and every one of them.